– section 6 of the Crimes Act 1958
- After not being able to sleep for weeks on end and being mentally unwell, a mother overdoses her child with a sleeping liquid.
- A woman gave birth and developed post-natal depression. When her child was 3 months old, she smothered her child in its sleep.
- You were not responsible for the death of your child.
- You suffer from mental impairment beyond a disorder from the child birth.
Questions in cases like this
- Do you know how your child died?
- Do you suffer from a clinically diagnosed mental impairment?
Maximum penalty and court that deals with this chargeThe maximum penalty for this offence is level 6 imprisonment (5 years).
This type of offence would be heard in the County Court.
What is the legal definition of Infanticide?The Prosecution must prove that you caused the death of your child, in circumstances that would have amounted to murder. And your mind at the time of the offence was disturbed by a mental disorder.
“Do you suffer from a disorder?”