Falsification of documents
– section 83A of the Crimes Act 1958
Falsification of Documents is when documents are forged in order to get someone else to do something.
- A 16 year old girl makes a false ID to get into over 18 clubs.
- A man has a machine that makes fake passports.
- A woman makes a fake bank statement to get a loan.
- No documents were forged.
- There was no knowledge that the documents were false.
- No damage was caused by any false documents.
Questions in cases like this
- Did you forge any documents?
- Can they prove that you forged documents?
- Was anyone affected by the false documents?
Maximum penalty and court that deals with this chargeThe maximum penalty for this offence is level 5 imprisonment (10 years).
This is a strictly indictable charge which means that your case must be heard in the County Court.
The section that covers this offence is section 83A of the Crimes Act 1958.