The Law Governing Royal Commissions
Royal Commissions are governed by the following legislation (Commonwealth & other States):
- Royal Commissions Act 1902 (Cth);
- Royal Commissions Act 1923 (NSW);
- Commissions of Inquiry Act 1950 (QLD);
- Royal Commissions Act 1917 (SA);
- Royal Commissions Act 1968 (WA);
- Commission of Inquiry Act 1995 (Tas);
- The Inquiries Act 1945 (NT); Royal Commissions Act 1991 (ACT).
In Victoria, the Governor-in-Council is given the power to issue a commission by s88B of the Constitution Act 1975 (Vic) and the powers of Commissions are governed by the Evidence (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1958 (Vic).
If you have received a summons to appear, please contact us immediately for some advice about what is involved. You have a right to be legally represented. You should seek proper legal advice from experts who understand the process, procedure and the law as it applies in this context.