False Accounting is when you destroy, falsify, hide or make up accounts. Resulting in financial gain or loss to another person / entity.
SentencingSentencing in the higher courts of Victoria Sentencing in the Magistrates’ Courts of Victoria
- The Director of a company destroys documents about the company’s offshore accounts.
- An employee at a company hides documents about company assets.
- An accountant for a firm creates false documents about the firm’s investors.
- No documents were destroyed, falsified, hidden or created for financial gain.
- There was no financial gain received from any false accounting.
- There was no loss incurred to anyone from any false accounting.
Questions in cases like this
- Was there any false accounting?
- Was there any financial gain?
- Was there a loss to someone else or another company?
- Can they prove there was false accounting?
- Can they prove there was financial gain or loss?
Maximum penalty and Court that deals with this chargeThe maximum penalty for this offence is level 5 imprisonment (10 years).
This charge may be heard in the Magistrates’ Court or the County Court.
The section that covers this offence is section 83 of the Crimes Act 1958.
“Were documents falsified?”