To arrange an Interpreter for Court

How do you arrange an interpreter for Court?

If you do not have a good grasp of the English language, it may be necessary to request the Court to provide an interpreter for your hearings. If you are in prison, you can either appear in court by videolink or attend court in person (this is done by a gaol order). To have an interpreter for Court, a request needs to be made to the appropriate person at the Magistrates’ Court who will then book the interpreter.

In the County Court, the OPP solicitor generally books an interpreter for the accused. On an appeal they may say that they will not do so but they should and generally can be convinced that they should do so. The Charter states that an accused should have an interpreter.

A telecourt hearing means that they stay at the prison and they attend the proceeding by appearing on a videolink.

A gaol order makes sure that the prison brings the person to Court.