Deception and Bail Offences
Our client was charged with deception and bail offences that had her looking at spending Christmas in custody away from her young child. The charges resulted in the police remanding her overnight in the cells at Sunshine and the case was heard on the morning of the last sitting day of the court year.
The client had a very limited prior history and whilst the offences may not necessarily attract a period of imprisonment, as our client did not have a place to live, it looked like they would not be released from custody.
Alex Turner provided legal representation at the Sunshine Magistrates’ Court. The exact charges were:
- Handle Stolen Goods
- Forgery of Documents and Identification Marks
- Commit Indictable Offence Whilst on Bail
- Drive Unregistered Motor Vehicle
- Drive Unlicensed
By utilising his connections with the staff around the Sunshine Magistrates’ Court, Alex Turner was able to arrange an urgent appointment with the Court Integrated Services Program which meant that the matter could be dealt with before the court closed for Christmas. This resulted in our client being released from custody and being able to spend Christmas with her young child which may not have otherwise been the case.
Bail was granted after the matter resolved to a plea and after a deferral of sentence was requested. Exceptional circumstances was made out for the deception and bail offences and the risk was reduced to an acceptable level. The matter was now to return part heard before his Honour at a later date at Sunshine Magistrates Court.
- The accused handled the goods;
- The goods were stolen goods at the time the accused handled them;
- The accused knew or believed at the time he/she handled them they were stolen goods; and
- The accused’s handling of the goods was dishonest.
Other related case studies:
- Bail Application – ‘Night’ Court
- Bail Application, Youth Justice – Successful
- Adjourned Undertaking for Contravening a Conduct Condition of Bail
- Diversion for Attempt to Commit Indictable Offence Whilst on Bail
- Bail Application in a Show Cause Position – Granted
Alex ensures that his clients understand the law that applies to their circumstances. He helps them make sound decisions geared to achieving the best possible result in court.
Check out Alex's profile to know more about him.
DISCLAIMER: This is a real case study of an actual case from our files. Details pertaining to the client have been changed to protect their privacy. The sentence imposed and the charge have not been altered. These case studies are published to demonstrate real outcomes and give an indication of possible tariffs in Court. We do not guarantee a similar case on these charges will get the same result. Please note that we post results at our discretion, therefore while many case studies are average results, others are notable for their exceptional outcomes. PUBLISHED 01/04/2019